“An Excellent public Service for the satisfaction of citizens” and a Sustainable Development.
To gain a sustainable development that satisfy the needs of the citizens by managing the resources and institutions effectively with a better planning in accordance with the state policies.
Our quality policy is to provide continuously a satisfactory and an excellent service to the citizens of the district with improvements by using human, physical and financial resources productively, efficiently in terms of the state policies, with a better understanding about the quality procedures of each other according to the Citizenship Charter along with an active participation.
Kurunegala district is bounded by Anuradhapura district from the North, by Mathale and Kandy districts from the East, by Gampaha and Kegalla districts from the South and by Puttlam district from the West. The district is situated in between North 228 – 333 and East 104 – 178. (between 7 -16 and 8 – 12 of North degrees and 79 – 55 and 80 – 55 of East longitude).
No. of Divisional Secretariats 30
No. of Grama Niladhari Divisions 1,610
No. of villages 4,476
No. of Electorates 14
The extent of the district is 4900.62 square k.m. or 490062.5 hectares. The estimated population in 2016 is 1,676,000. The No. of families is 443349. The labour force of the district is 59.1% of the total population. The employment of the district is 97.0 % of the total population. The unemployment is 3.0 %. The population density is 342 persons per one kilo meter. The population density has been centered around the Kurunegala city because of the recent development. One person has 0.3 hectares according to the rate of lands per one person of the district. The urban population in 2016 is 31421. The rural population is 1636743. The population related to the estates is 7836.
There are 9 agricultural environmental divisions. The northern area shows the features of the dry zone, the southern and eastern areas show the features of the wet zone and the rest of the areas show inter zonal features. There is a small number of areas which show the wet zone features.
It is done by four rivers. They are
‘Kala Oya’ from the North
‘Mee Oya’ in the central area
‘Ma Oya’ from the South etc.
There are big and minor irrigations like ‘Daduru Oya reservoir, Rajanganaya, Usgala SIyambalangamuwa, Hakwatunaoya, Kimbulwanaoya, Bathalagoda, Magalla, Palukadawala, Atharagalla, Madiyawa, Kannoruwa, Abakolawawa in these water flows.
There are 13 kinds of soil. The main minerals are graphite, apatite, limestone, normal sand etc.
Graphite – Dodamgaslanda, Kahatagaha, Kolongahayaya, Madahapolakanda, Katumuluwa, Katupotha, Bamunakotuwa, Kiwulgalla, Mahayaya, Elibichchiya,
Limestone – Natiya, Korossa, Makulpotha, Idulgoda,
Apatite - Kawisigamuwa, Ambakote,
Limestone – Galgamuwa, Wariyapola, Mahawa, Pothanegama.
|Stone Door Frame,|
|Governor's Office Premises|
Because there were four kingdoms namely Panduwasnuwara, Dambadeniya, yapawwa, Kurunegala in Kurunegala it is special than the other districts. This was the most secured place for the kings who moved to the South West. There are so many evidences that there were reputed kings in this area.
Panduwasnuwara kingdom - 1153 – 1070 A.D.
Dambadeni kingdom - 1232 – 1236 A.D.
Yapahuwa kingdom - 1273 A.D.
Kurunegala kingdom - 1291 – 1346 A.D.
|Ruins of a “Bodhigara”||Ruins of a Buddhist
The ruins of this ancient city can be seen around the Kotampitiya area which is situated about 12 miles away from the Wariyapola town. This place has been recognized as the ‘Parakramapuraya’, the capital which king Parakramabahu first built in the “Dakkina Deshaya” (southern stste) and at present it is called Panduwasnuwara. It is mentioned that king Parakramabahu who became the ruler of the “Dakkina Deshaya’ as the successor of king Keerthi Sri Megha who was his uncle got the reign of the whole island in 1153 A.D. and took his capital from Parakramapuraya to Polonnaruwa.(‘Pulaththi Nagara’ as mentioned in the Chulavansa)
When the ruins of the palace in Panduwasnuwara are compared with the remaining of the palace built by king Parakramabahu it is clear that these two buildings are with an equal division and an equal architectural pattern. The inscription of the palace mentions that once king Keerthi Sri Nishshankamalla (1187 – 1196 A.D.) came to this palace.
But the palace in Panduwasnuwara is not large as the palace in Polonnaruwa. So it can be decided that the palace of Panduwasnuwara belongs to the time of prince Parakramabahu. So it can be decided that these might be the ruins of the palace king Parakramabahu built while he was ruling the ‘Maya state’.